Parents can sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the information available about caring for infants. There are so many schools of thought to choose from, and so many different styles of parenting, that after awhile, it can be frustrating. The following list of ten famous books on infant care may serve as a guide, if only because these selections managed to withstand the test of time.
- Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care – It’s been around for over 65 years, yet it is still a favorite with parents. The eighth edition was updated in 2004 by Dr. Robert Needlman, also a renowned pediatrician. Dr. Needlman addresses the issues of parenting in the 21st century.
- Your Baby’s First Year – This book by the American Academy of Pediatricians is the one book most recommended by pediatricians. It is comprehensive and covers all the basics that you will need to know and want to know about caring for your newborn. It includes milestones on baby’s development.
- Baby 411 – Very popular with new moms, this book is a favorite gift at baby showers. A compilation of wisdom from parents and professionals, it gives you all the information you need to help you in caring for your baby. Information and advice is given in a straight forward professional fashion with humor.
- The Baby Book – Dr. Sears, Martha Sears and Drs. Bob and Jim Sears have created a classic that some call the Baby Bible. If ever there was a manual on how to care for your baby, this is it. The updated version includes important information on every aspect of life with a new born. It is unrivaled in scope and authority.
- The Happiest Baby on the Block – Pediatrician Harvey Karp instructs parents on how to sooth and calm their babies by using age-old techniques. He also explains why these techniques work. This book is quickly becoming a classic and it is already the best friend of parents all over who are dealing with colicky babies.
- The Mother of All Baby Books – This guide book includes all kinds of information written with warmth and knowledge. You will be brought up to date with the latest information in the charts and tables included in the book. It also has tips on shopping for baby.
- Be Prepared, A Practical Handbook for New Dads – This is a book every new dad should read. Written for dads in a style that they will find appealing and humorous, it covers all the basics they need to know so they will be prepared to step up to the plate when mom goes out with the girls.
- The Baby Owners Manual – This was the manual that was supposed to be included when your bundle of joy arrived. For parents who have a sense of humor, this book is full of advice on how to operate your new baby. This book is perfect for the geeky parent.
- Eat, Sleep, Poop – Written by an award winning pediatrician while experiencing his own newborn child, this book has a unique perspective. Dr. Scott Cohen gives advice from both a doctor’s point of view and what’s best for you as a parent.
- Heading Home with Your New Born, From Birth to Reality – Another book written with humor and expertise, this volume written by pediatricians Laura Jana and Jennifer Shu presents advice and information in a way that alleviates the guilt and fear that often plagues new parents. This book covers the first eight weeks.
Becoming a parent can be a scary thing, but if you are well prepared and have an idea of what to expect, you will find that your job can be easier than you imagine. With all the great books to choose from, you are sure to find something that you will enjoy reading and will answer most, if not all, your questions too.